Wednesday, September 14, 2011

9/11 Memorial Run Weekend

I was honored to be invited to take part in a Team Red White and Blue (TRWB) memorial run to recognize the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on our country. Eight of us ran from the West Point Military Academy to Liberty State Park on the New Jersey shore just feet from the Statue of Liberty. We left West Point Saturday Sept 10th at 8pm and arrived at the park at 7am Sunday Sept 11th. At the park there were ~150 other people that joined us in running 5 mile laps around the park in remembrance of those lost and celebration of the American spirit. There was a moment of silence at 8:46am as we looked across the Hudson towards Ground Zero. Even New York was quiet. I met a bunch of incredible people and was proud to take part in the event. Now Sept 11 will be A Day To Never Forget for another reason.
Words only tell part of the story. There are plenty to choose from: honor, commitment, amazing, patriotic, sacrifice, pride...The more interesting part to me is the feeling I have from it. Still hard to put into words that do it justice and I don't think I'll try for a while. I ran my usual Wed morning run with my work group this morning and about the time the first beads of sweat began to pour down the side of my face I was instantly back at the exit roads from West Point, leaving the gate and beginning the journey. Sort of like a smell that rekindles some old memory you have from childhood. I liked that feeling, I hope it comes back on future runs. I think there is a power source there that I can tap into when I need it most.
I'll leave you with a few pictures but I'd like to also thank my folks, Linda and Jerry Moore, for helping make this trip happen, my family for holding down our fort, and also to all the people who contributed to the fund raising page for TRWB. Rest assured, the money will be well spent. These folks have a good thing going. Peace, Steven.
 West Point Skydiver!
West Point Mess Hall

  The Start!
Red Bandana for Welles
Along the way
We made it!
Found some friends to run with!
What it's all about.


2 comments:

  1. Great write up Steven. I wish I could have made it out for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A special run, place, time, and people. Thanks for going up there and doing that Steven!

    ReplyDelete